Wednesday, March 28, 2007

New Thing #3: Off-Broadway Baby

For a little over a year now, I have performed with Blue Man Group as a tube-talker, which is essentially an invisible crowd-warmer who's not a stand-up. I sit in the basement and yell, sing, talk and otherwise just try to connect with audience members and keep them entertained until the show starts. I totally love it and I would do it even if they didn't pay me. But today, for the first time not just on behalf of Blue Man Group, I did a show during my lunch break. I've done other shows at weird times before- 5am, 9:30 am, and your standard weekend matinees. But I've never used a lunch break from my day job to perform anything other than a capella karaoke in an empty elevator. BMG is easy to get to from work, and my whole bit takes about a half hour, so popping down there on the 6 during my lunch break was no sweat. Being situated so neatly among mass-production shopping in midtown, I often shop on my lunch break, but that's boring! Why buy my 12th pair of cargo pants from Old Navy when I can be using that time to teach high school theatre kids from Oregon about "The Blue Man Yell?"