Wednesday, April 4, 2007

New Thing #10: Tha Liberry

I've lived in New York for almost six years, and I'm not sure when the "neophyte fog" lifted and my "ray of local snobbery" started shining bright and steadfast. Everyone who lives here has a list of a few things they refuse to do now that they're not tourists or newbies. I don't think I could ever bring myself to go up in Lady Liberty's head. Sorry. But there are a few fantastic things that I've missed out on, either because I take them for granted, or because I'm so caught up in just living here. So today I visited the main branch of the New York City library.

I took along spunky companion Kristina, who despite having lived here for much of her childhood, had also never been. We agreed that with its marble halls, echoy silence, clutch of tourists, halls of studious locals and politely uptight security, it had the vibe of being half museum, half fancy European University.


I sat down


In a long hall of books


and read about speaking English!



Then I got sleepy.


When I woke up, I decided to apply for a library card. First the computer made me mad.


But then I learned to like it.


And now I have a library card!