Monday, April 9, 2007

New Thing #15: Gland of the Free

I stayed home sick today, which I thought would put the kibosh on doing something new (or at least result in my doing something random and arbitrary). Luckily, it was adorable sister to the rescue. She called last night and suggested the get-well-fast trick a childhood friend taught her. So today I took a detoxifying sweat nap. The idea is to rid your body of toxins, while at the same time getting the rest you need. I drank some very hot tea (my tongue is still scratchy), then made a coccoon out of my down comforter and some blankets. Wearing sweats, a heavy sweatshirt, chenille socks and a heavy terry robe, I took a 90-minute nap. I tried to keep my face covered, which made me sort of freaked out and claustrophobic, but I did eventually get to sleep. I woke up not drenched, but sufficiently moist, and my searing headache was all but gone. I was also very hungry for cheese.