Wednesday, April 11, 2007

New Thing #17: A pause in "fun"

One of the points of trying something new every day is to face my fear and try something I wouldn't ordinarily be inclined to do. I knew going into this that there would be things on my list that wouldn't be "fun," but that would still fall into the category of "stuff I've never done before." Several people suggested this one, and I thought it sounded like a great idea, if a little daunting and intimidating. Today I attended a meeting of a 12-step program. In keeping with the promise of anonymity, that's the most detail I'm going to give about the actual meeting. I don't have a lot of experience in my life with addiction, but I don't know anybody who hasn't watched helplessly as someone they loved dealt with something difficult. It seems like the last thing you'd do as a way of helping someone would be to spill your guts to a bunch of strangers, but what if those strangers are understanding and completely free of judgement?
I was really nervous about this one- I even told someone yesterday that I wasn't looking forward to it. That might not have been the best way to phrase it; I wasn't excited about it, the way I was excited about things involving dogs and babies. And once I got there, I really didn't know why I had been so worried. The format of the meeting didn't seem to exclude anyone, even people who were just there out of curiosity; it also didn't demand that everyone participate just because they were there. Even though I'm not directly affected by the problem this meeting was addressing, I can think of at least ten lessons I learned from it that I can apply to everyday life. At the very least, it helped me appreciate the relationships and love in my life- and that's a lot.

(Tomorrow's Thing will be something a bit more fun, but contrary to what a super-cute, soon-to-be birthday girl wrote in my planner, I will not be going to Brooklyn to steal a puppy for her.)

1 comment:

Glennis said...

Aww! You're no fun!!

(You're very fun.)