Monday, April 16, 2007

New Thing #22: Mac Stack

This is going to seem a lot more random than it actually is. Even people who know me really well have no idea that this is something I've always wanted to do, because I've never actually said it out loud. I'm not sure why that is. But I did realize today, while refining old lists and compiling a new one, that I first had the idea to do this when I was about five. In what could be considered an ode my whimsical nature, my life as a writer and my tender attachment to books, I made a stack of books as tall as I am. It's a good thing I didn't do this when I was five, because it wouldn't have been all that impressive then. I was all of what, 3 feet tall? At 5'9", this was much more of a challenge, made easier by books sent to me last year by a fabulous aunt. The stack ended up being a total of 91 books high, and included two high school yearbooks, a jr. high yearbook, biographies of Katharine Graham and Gilda Radner, a dictionary, Louis Sachar's Wayside School Gets a Little Stranger, 12 Jules Verne hardcovers, and a copy of Nancy Pearl's Booklust. Things got a little precarious toward the end, as the stack started to tip and I had to hold onto it. I took about half the books off and stacked them on the window ledge, then added them bit by bit so I could stack them and prevent spillage at the same time. I forgot my camera today, so coworker Grace, in addition to helping with the final stages of the stacking, took the photos.


Symmetrical book stacking. Just like the Philadelphia mass turbulence of 1947.



Update on the Peeps: the one in the cup of water lost its color and both of its little chocolate eyes (both of which floated off and stuck to the side of the cup), but never fully disintegrated. It simply became a bloated, foamy floating blob. The ones in the freezer never froze solid, so I ate them.

No comments: