Tuesday, May 1, 2007

New Thing #37: Law law law

I've been surrounded by law my whole life. My dad and my brother and a few other relatives are lawyers. Many of my friends from high school and college are lawyers. I even know lawyers who do comedy. And I've been known to watch more than a few consecutive episodes of Law & Order: SVU. I never really considered becoming a lawyer myself, but a couple of years ago I did flirt with the notion of taking the LSAT. I did okay on some online practice tests, but never actually sat for the $200 Life Defining live version. I think it was because as much as I really did want to take the test, and as interesting as law school is to me, I have no desire to actually practice law. I like being a journalist, and long hours in a firm don't appeal to me. But it's always important to keep an open mind, yes? So today I went on a tour of the Fordham University School of Law.
I visited the admissions office and spoke briefly with a representative, who gave me a map and suggested I take a self-guided tour. Having the map gave me access to the actual inside of the law school itself. It's finals day; two ladies in the elevator were bemoaning their unpreparedness, and uniformed ladies with stop watches and sign-in sheets sat outside every door in the long, locker-lined hallway. I sat briefly on a bench overlooking a lounge area, but didn't seek out any professors or peek inside any classrooms, as the brochure suggested. It seemed inappropriate on finals day. I also didn't take a lot of pictures inside; it's not a good idea be creepy on a college campus, especially not these days. I did duck inside the library, full of green lamps and stressed-out counsel-to-be.
The outside part of the tour was much more peaceful. Fordham's campus is like Columbia's, a homey little oasis crammed into the shadows of urban life, but it's not as intellectually intimidating. With its drippy Chinese elms and willows and pink cherry blossoms, it sort of makes me think I'd court skin cancer all semester, with the amount of time I'd be tempted to spend outside. So that's why I'm not going to become a lawyer.

The outside:

The inside:
The stairwell:

A guy who's skinnier than I:

3 comments:

Michelle said...

Hooray for my alma mater!

Krafty Like A Fox said...

Ha! That's my school! (Although I'm actually an undergrad across the plaza.)

Jenmac said...

I have total campus jealousy! I've never seen the Bronx campus (all the more reason to go!) but it's gorgeous in the photos. I wonder if my all-access disposable map would work on that shuttle van as well...