Thursday, May 3, 2007

New Thing #39: It IS a Good Book!

Somehow during my Protestant upbringing and laterally Catholic college years, I never did much Bible reading. This isn't because I'm one of those church-raised kids who completely shunned religion and declared themselves an athiest out of frustration and in defiance; I'm absolutely comfortable with religion, and consider myself spiritual in a completely personal way. But I wasn't so much church-"raised" as I was church-"near," having attended services off and on during my childhood, when the family could commit to it. So I didn't get much Bible reading done. This is why today I took my mom's suggestion and I read a complete book of the Bible. When I told her I was doing this today, she suggested Galatians, a petit, 6-chapter book which is a letter from the Apostle Paul to the people of the province of Galatia, addressing the mishandling of Mosaic law. The message is essentially, "don't be a hypocrite. Follow the laws and quit trying to bend them to fit your lifestyle." Also, it offers a contextual translation of father as Abba, and now I have "Dancing Queen" playing as I get ready for bed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I stumbled upon your page earlier this week and have enjoyed it very much. Keep posting, girl :-)