Saturday, May 5, 2007

New Thing #41: Miss Potato Head

This suggestion came from everybody's favorite ray of sunshine Glennis, with whom I spent the morning walking the Revlon Run/Walk for Women, then chilling with bags of freebees on a lawn in Central Park. I had a show later in the afternoon, and by the time I got home I was both completely exhausted and ravenously hungry. Luckily today's thing involved food: I made my own likeness out of edible items. I didn't have much to go on in the way of instruction; I had the photos in an email Glennis sent me, and that was it.
The Ingredients (or, as it seems, The Cast):
Face/head: Potato
Hair: Roast beef
Eyes: Circles-of-Swiss-cheese corneas, green-olive irises and avocado-skin pupils
Nose: Deli-sliced turkey
Mouth: Radish slices
Cheek color: V-8

I'm neither crafty nor used to making art with my hands, so my placement is a bit sloppy. I had to get creative a couple of times. I intended to use whole-wheat spaghetti for the hair, but it blanched when I cooked it and couldn't pass for brown. The roast beef was unconvincing as hair, so I sliced it at the top to make bangs. I forgot to get anything to make eyelashes; certain herbs apparently work, if you can get past the fact that they are usually green. Ah well.


(Contrary to what you see on the potato, I am not missing a chunk of my left cheek. I also do not have a ropy brown root growing out of my left cheek. The missing chunk is the result of a rootectomy.)

No comments: