Thursday, May 10, 2007

New Thing #46: Crooks suck

A good friend of mine from high school, who lives in California with her adorable husband, had a new experience of her own this week: she had her house broken into and robbed. It was ransacked and the jerks took pretty much everything that wasn't built in—computers, jewelry, video game systems, cameras. As is the case when anybody I know has something bad happen to them, I swung into MUST DO SOMETHING mode, even from all the way on the other coast. Stolen items move pretty fast, so Friend and her husband have been checking all the pawn shops and flea markets in their area. If I were there, I would join them, but I'm not, so I'm searching for their stolen items on eBay and Craigslist. I've messaged Friend a few descriptions that match, trying to keep in mind that crooks probably lie about the origin of the objects they sell; if someone says something belonged to their grandmother, I don't automatically believe them. I don't know how successful this will be, but eBay has an automatic alert system that emails you when something you want goes up for sale. Someone else I love recovered a camera in less than a week that way. Here's hoping...

No comments: