Thursday, May 31, 2007

New Thing #67: Hi, hi birdie!

I love the animals. I grew up with typical suburban-kid pets: dogs, hamsters, my brother's newts and frogs, and the occasional stray cat that I would feed on the porch in secret. I don't currently have any pets, and sometimes the void is practically tangible. I'd love to give a home to a shelter dog, but what with living in an apartment and having a full-time day job, I just can't at this point. But that doesn't mean I can't still help an animal that needs me. So today, through the World Wildlife Fund, I adopted an endangered species. Settling on exactly which animal to sponsor was tough. Then I started thinking about how global warming is sort of the "hip" environmental concern right now, and that changing water temperatures and fluctuation of tides are probably affecting sea life more than we yet know. We hear the most about water fowl when there's some sort of disastrous oil spill, but what about the rest of the time? In the interest of standing up for the underrepresented endagered birdies out there, I chose this:
The bluefooted Booby.
I've named it Rita.

1 comment:

Kathleen said...

Aww, you just like it cuz it has the word "booby" in it.

Blue-footed Boopy