Saturday, June 2, 2007

New Thing #69: Lunch lady

Had I lived in New York in the 20s, I would have experienced today's New Thing quite a few times. It's nostalgia, novelty and two entrepreneurs which allowed me to experience it today. I ate lunch in an automat. According to Wikipedia, automats were particularly popular in larger cities until the 50s, when the advent of the drive-thru made them practically obsolete; the few that remained in New York until the end of the 70s were just kitschy throwbacks. Then they disappeared in the U.S. until last year, when two enterprising guys opened Bamn! on St. Mark's Place.
While visiting it for the first (but not last!) time today, I had a $2 teri burger from the old-timey machine and a soft-serve vanilla ice-cream, served to me by a decidedly not old-timey lady for free, since I had taken a survey. Friend and repeat Bamn! customer Kirk had a corndog, his Automat fave.


Nearly 100 years ago, I would have been her:

2 comments:

Michael Jeffrey said...

Mmmmmmm...machine fooood.....

Jason Oman said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.