Tuesday, June 5, 2007

New Thing #72: Divine Vixenish Females

Yesterday I got this email from fabulous Robyn, who on more than one occasion has provided invaluable fashion tips, advice and shopping companionship:
have you ever gotten up at the crack of dawn and waited in line to get into the first day of a sample sale?
DVF is having a sample sale starting tomorrow at 9am...I think I'm going to go ...I usually get in line around 7:45am or so...

As a matter of fact I had not; I usually mosey into these things a couple of days after they start, thereby missing the early-morning mayhem (and a lot of good stuff). So today I got up at the crack of dawn and waited in line to get into the first day of a sample sale. I got there a few minutes before 8am, and Robyn and I whiled away the next hour with pleasant chatter. Meanwhile, an ARMY was swelling behind us, and by the time the doors opened at 9, there must have been 400 women in line. Once we got in, I lost Robyn in a sea of well-mannered but dead-serious first crackers, women with strategies who had memorized the sale's floor plan. I emerged thirty minutes later, not only unscathed but unscathed and in possession of a true DVF authentic wrap dress, something I have never owned and which is so classic that I'll be able to pass it onto my daughter some day.

If you can't handle this... sleep in.

1 comment:

erika said...

always wanted to do this but my ass has gotten too fat and my bank account has gotten too small for sample sales. guess i'll just have to live vicariously through you miss jen... can't wait to see that dress!