Friday, June 8, 2007

New Thing #75: Helen of Destroy

I went to a Gotham Girls Roller Derby bout between The Queens of Pain and Bronx Gridlock. This is one bad-ass sport. While most of the women were, surprisingly, sort of wispy and lean, they were still tough as nails and threw their elbows around the way Italian chefs throw pizza dough. AND they all have cool names- Lemony Kicket, Cheapskate, Luna Impact, Beatrix Slaughter. Kevin and I came up with a few- Dru Burymore, Rollita, Deathalyzer, She Creepio, Spazpirin, Lady Harmalade. Even pal Kirk, who works for the league as an announcer, gets to call himself Professor Shovercraft. Ask me how the matches are actually scored and I'd have to refer you to the program. But what I can tell you is that I would never ever want to cross one of these ladies!

1 comment:

Maddy said...

Laura Push!
(Or Barbara or Jenna I suppose)