Saturday, July 14, 2007

New Thing #111: Gerkin Girl

In the dead of summer, with temperatures hovering in the high 80s, with medium-to-high humidity, I am constantly on the hunt for the perfect summer treat. I've grown rather weary of ice cream, root beer floats, and even Tofutti cuties (though we recently discovered the key lime flavor, which is deLISH). So I sought out a new summertime delicacy, preferably something cheap and fun that I can make myself. And today I made Kool-Aid pickles! I first read about these weirdly wonderful snacks in People magazine, which printed an extremely simple recipe: Make Kool-Aid the way you normally would. Add pickles and marinate. Done! And on Monday I plan to bring them to work and test them on my coworkers. I used grape-flavored Kool-Aid, and while I was mixing it, I realized that due to my health-conscious upbringing, I've never mixed Kool-Aid before. I doubt if I've even drank it. So biting into a grape-flavored pickle on Monday will actually be two birds with one peculiar little stone.

No comments: