Thursday, July 19, 2007

New Thing #116: Go Your Own Way

A few months ago, I started passing my day planner around at social events so people could write New Things in on a random day, and one day I would turn to that date and say, 'wow! Look what [lovely friend] wants me to do today!" So far, none of these have actually worked out. But then I got to today, and the venerable Kristina had written, "take a one-hour walk choosing all directions by the stoplights." Done! After dumping my stuff backstage at Blue Man an hour before my call, I set out. Every time I got to a corner, I walked with whichever signal had a walk signal. If I got to a corner and one light was red and the other was blinking, I stayed on that block and turned the corner without crossing the street. There was more zig-zagging than my poor control of the tools in MS Paint, as applied to the map below, would have you believe. But this is the gist of my route:
In the spirit of randomness, I also didn't make a playlist, nor did I ever hit advance on my iPod, resulting in the following walking soundtrack:
Rapture Blondie
I Just Want to See His Face The Rolling Stones
As Long as You're Mine Wicked
All Shook Up Elvis Presley
I Who Have Nothing Shirley Bassey
To Sir, With Love Lulu
Reverie Claude Debussy
Just Can't Wait to be King The Lion King
She's Got Everything The Kinks
Happiness You're a Good Man, Charlie Brown
Everywhere Fleetwood Mac
Haiti Arcade Fire
Panama Van Halen
Me and Mia Ted Leo and the Pharmacists
Nutcracker Marche Tchaikovsky
T***d on the Run The Rolling Stones

2 comments:

Kristina said...

OK, I need to know...what block did the Lion King song go on? I need a visual.

Burton Malkiel said...

I took a random walk down Wall St. once, and I've never felt better!