Sunday, July 22, 2007

New Thing #119: Pew know it

When you turn 90, I think it's understandable to want to accept everybody's well wishes, whenever they might occur. The party was yesterday, even though the twins' birthday isn't until next week. Today, we went with my family to church, where they had donated flowers in Gramma's name, and the pastor even took time out from the carefully planned program agenda to wish her happy birthday in front of the whole congregation. The guest piano player took the cue, and led everybody in singing 'Happy Birthday.' So at the risk of being considered irreverent, I sang Happy Birthday in church. This sis along the sames lines as the suggestions friend L has been giving me, though under L's instruction, I would have ducked into a crowded church in New York, screeched the song at the top of my lungs and quickly fled. This was much more civilized, and deviant in that dad's-letting-me-have-cake-for-breakfast way. I only wish I'd had the foresight to bring along a recording device; the sound of 100 voices tentatively singing a non-religious song, coupled with most of their inability to either remember or correctly pronounce Gramma's name (along with my sister and I and our boyfriends triumphantly singing "Gramma" at that part), was fantastically amusing. Up next: juggling chickens at a funeral!

No comments: