Sunday, July 1, 2007

New Thing #98: I don't want a nickel...

I find it fun, every now and again, to see how awesome I might be at developing a new skill. Sometimes it's a hit (yoga! Whether I'm awesome is debatable, but I do like it a lot!), sometimes it's a miss (card-house building). Something I've been dying to try for a while, and which still needs a bit of honing, is riding the unicycle. I know this is tough and will take years of practice, so first thing first. Today I test-drove a unicycle at a bike shop. It was frustrating at first; this was the conversation I had with the guy who tried to help me:
Me: (after seeing a unicycle in the window) I'd like to look at unicycles.
Guy: We only have one.
Me: Okay, can I look at it?
Guy: Sure. (Takes it out of window and hands it to me)
Me: Do you know if there are any stores that carry more of them?
Guy: No, we only have one.
Me: Right. Do you know if there are any other stores that carry more of them?
Guy: No.
Me: No, there are no stores, or no you don't know of any?
Guy: I don't know.
Me: (refraining from asking if he doesn't know whether there are no stores, or if he doesn't know if he knows of any) Okay. Can I give this one a try?
Guy: Yes. Do you know how to ride it?
Me: No. That's why I want to buy one.
I climbed onto it while bracing myself on the counter, and awkwardly teetered while rolling, then tried to roll without teetering. It's tough, but I think with the right rig, I might be able to get the hang of it. This particular one was a bit high for me, but I think I'd heard that the seat heights can be adjusted.
Me: The seat heights can be adjusted, right?
Guy: (immediately taking the unicycle) Sure, let me take it in the back.
Me: No, no, I was just curious.
Guy: Ok.
Me: Okay. I'm going to check some other places. Thanks?

1 comment:

beth said...

I've biked in a ride called Seattle to Portland a few times (200 miles split into two days) and this guy does it on a unicycle! He's crazy, I tell you, but perhaps gives you a HUGE new thing to do. Or not :)

http://www.cygnus-software.com/papers/stp/index.htm