Wednesday, August 8, 2007

New Thing #136: How to Eat Like a Child

Ethiopian food, hamburgers, fries, lollipops and pickled eggs are among the taste treats that I eat on a semi-regular basis and which one can socially acceptably eat without a utensil in sight. It's cost-efficient, time saving and, in each individual case, polite. But what if you're eating a meal that usually does require utensils-like, say, a plate of piping hot portabello ravioli and a salad doused in Annie's Original Goddess? Well, don't answer that, because I just ate a plate of piping hot portabello ravioli and a salad doused in Annie's Original Goddess using just my hands. My sister was among those who suggested this, by saying "eat a meal with your hands that you normally wouldn't." And while I have eaten steak with a spoon, ice cream with a knife and Ramen with a straw, I have stayed on that side of uncouth and refrained from eating a civilized meal without at least a toothpick. Even as a child, my upbringing was such that I never could have gotten away with it (and was asked to turn my head when Mom would pick up the common salad bowl and drink the last of the dressing).

2 comments:

ALR design said...

So did you enjoy the experience?

Kathleen said...

Yeah, Mom, she's such a rebel! I think that's where we got it from! Years and years of pretending we didn't see her drinking her salad dressing...