Monday, August 13, 2007

New Thing #141: Cast Fabulous

I don't know how I've never done this one. What with my shameless history as a musical theatre lover, I should have done this the day after I moved to New York. Kristina alerted me this wonder's existence a few weeks ago, and tonight she and I went to Musical Monday at gay bar Splash, and sang along with the showtunes as the scenes were blasted across three giant televisions. There were clips from the Tony awards, the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade, the Today Show, movies, and various other live performance venues. The evening included songs from The Secret Garden, Funny Girl, Chess, Rent, The Who's Tommy, Kiss of the Spider Woman, Chicago, Thoroughly Modern Millie, Spamalot, West Side Story (note to Maddy: That's what that incoherent phone call was), Grey Gardens, Miss Saigon, Damn Yankees, and dozens of other absolute Broadway gems. The bar, packed full of underwearing bartenders and fellow proud geeks, was abuzz with appreciation and participation, and more than once, people burst into applause in the middle of a number, just because they knew that that's what the audience would do in the theatre.

No comments: