Saturday, August 18, 2007

New Thing #146: Bee Good


Ah, the country! I was so inspired by rural living after last week's cow adventure that I had to do more non-city New Things. I had a private lesson about beekeeping, then cut the honeycombs out of frames from the apiary and filled 10 jars with raw, un messed-with honey. The pile of bees made me a bit nervous (even after learning that most of the bees on this particular frame were drones and have no stingers) but the part where I got to actually cultivate the honey was awesome. It's a process I could totally spend hours on. You pull the frame apart, cut the comb out of it, slice the comb into jar-size chunks, then fill the rest of it with filtered honey drained from previous combs. It tastes deLISH and several jars of it are now happily sitting in my kitchen.




5 comments:

Nate said...

Wow... that first pic looks evil... but yes. pure straight-from-the-hive honey is the most yummyest thing EVER!
Nate

Kirk said...

I want to become a beekeeper when I retire, much like one of my heroes, __________. (Do YOU know the answer?)

Jenmac said...

Sherlock Holmes?

Amanda said...

You look like a powder puff girl in the top picture.
AWESOME! SECRET ISLAND!

Heather said...

Jen, where did you take private lessons?