Monday, August 27, 2007

New Thing #155: Ready-eyed

For every weird theatrey thing in New York that I have done or seen, there are probably a hundred weird things that I will never see. That's just how it works. It's all about the math (and you know how good we theatre geeks are at math). But tonight I lowered the odds and I went to a reading of a movie. Granted, it's not that weird. But it is new, considering that the only reading I ever attended that I wasn't cast in was of a musical, not a movie, and was so heavily staged (complete with costumes, sound cues, choreography and a skeletal set) that it was pretty much just an incarnation of a show where the actors happened to have scripts in their hands. Tonight's reading was a bare bones, actors-in-a-circle reading where the only blocking was that the actors stood when they spoke. It was a charming rom-com set in New York, and the stage directions (read out loud by a stage manager) were more filmy and detailed than stage directions. I've been in readings before, but to be in the audience of one means you really have to use your imagination, forgive the sparseness, and cast it in your head with 20-something celebrities.

1 comment:

Maddy said...

I went to a reading of "Seeking Same" in 2000 which became "Kissing Jessica Stein"

Just a little bit of trivia for you.

Yay, new things!