Thursday, August 2, 2007

New Thing #130: Hoop Dreams

Tonight's Thing comes courtesy of the awesome Mark Lee, whose job at Madison Square Garden and mention of my blog to his boss yielded what was perhaps my most hands-on New Thing so far. I worked the game-night marketing staff for a WNBA game between the New York Liberty and the Minnesota Lynx at Madison Square Garden. Under the watchful eye of my awesome college-age sherpas Nicole and Jeff, I got to pass out spirit sticks, organize lines of adorable children, fold tablecloths and help create a general atmosphere of joy. I wish I'd gotten to see a bit more actual game play- the Liberty beat the Lynx in a very tense ending after the Lynx started to close in on what looked like a solid lead. The Liberty had to score a 3-pointer and make a penalty shot in the last 2 minutes just to widen the gap. What impressed me most is how fan-centric the Liberty and its staff are. There were at least 4 contests for the fans, including a slam-dunk contest for adorable short fans. They also showed some awesome support and solidarity for the opponent by taking a moment of silence in honor of the Minneapolis bridge collapse. Then adorable Keke "Akeela and the Bee" Palmer came out and rocked the National Anthem. It was all a fun reminder of why I should be more interested in sports!


(I think my favorite thing ever was being all decked out in this uniform, getting asked a complicated question by a fan, and getting to very honestly say, "Oh, I don't work here.")

1 comment:

Tatman said...

How cool. Sounds like it was fun.