Monday, September 10, 2007

New Thing #169: Clothestime

This is the fourth of four post-dated entries to reflect my activities during my annual vacation to Fire Island. I may be posting them late, but I really did do one New Thing every day I was there. I have witnesses.

Despite all its modern amenities, the Fire Island beach house did contain a number of charming, old-timey features, like a red wagon for toting luggage, a fleet of no-frills Huffy bicycles, an outdoor shower, and an actual clothesline. Not a makeshift clothesline like the one I rigged in my dorm in Dublin out of microfiber tights and hairclips, but a real pulley system on a rope that stretched out along the side of the house. So before leaving the island this morning, I hung up laundry on an old-fashioned clothesline. This is hardly practical in New York, but it's always nice to figure out a different way of doing something.





No comments: