Tuesday, September 11, 2007

New Thing #170: The Old Man and the old man

If I were a truck driver I apparently would have done this before. I read/heard/remembered semi-correctly somewhere that truckdrivers are surprisingly well-versed in literature, because they listen to books on tape on the long haul. While they're killing two birds with one stone, the rest of us chumps are actually picking up the book. So today I listened to a book on tape, because I wanted to see what the big deal was. Well, it sort of is a big deal! I can read a lot on the subway anyway, what with my express train, long commute, and almost constant ability to nab a seat in the morning. But I can't read on the way to or from the station, and I can't read while transferring or throwing annoyed glances at people with leaky headphones. I can do all that while listening to a book! So today's choice was The Old Man and the Sea, which I meant to read during the ill-fated book blitz of 2006, and never did. I know the story, but it is so. much. better. when read to me by Donald Sutherland as I walk down 34th street, as the Empire State Building and throngs of tourists melt away and become the Gulf Stream and Santiago's fishing boat.

2 comments:

Claire said...

Cool, I don't think I have ever done that either! And loved your Fire Island vacation posts!

Kristina said...

I'm a HUGE Hemingway fan (as exhibited by my recs for the book blitz of '06) but The Old Man in The Sea was never my thing.

However, EVERY THING is better with a splash of Papa Sutherland.

Even "Beerfest".