Saturday, September 15, 2007

New Thing #174: Symphoneato

I planned this a couple of months ago, and it was every bit as cool a s I thought it would be. I went to Avery Fisher Hall at Lincoln Center to see Oscar-winning composer John Williams conduct the Philharmonic in his own works, and some of the movie scenes were shown on a screen behind the orchestra. Including Raiders of the Lost Ark, Star Wars, Jaws and E.T. They also played stuff from Harry Potter, Hook and Fiddler on the Roof (the film version of which Williams reorchestrated and musically directed). He also shared the stage with movie director Stanley Donen, who introduced clips from his films Singing in the Rain, A Royal Wedding and Anchors Aweigh. Kevin and I remarked on how cool it was to be sharing the same air as a guy as legendary as Williams. If I were to round out my own personal Movie Composer Trifecta, I would also have to see Rachel Portman and Danny Elfman conduct stuff before I die.

No comments: