Monday, September 17, 2007

New Thing #176: Ben Frozen


Every time there's been a disaster in New York that's kept me out of my apartment for at least a night (count so far: three), I've found myself woefully underprepared, and often low on cash and unable to get any because the ATMs are out of commission, or have armed national guardsmen standing in front of them. I am, however, generally good with money and recently have managed to keep enough cash on me at all times for at least a cab and a couple of meals. I also keep emergency cash at work. Until tonight, though, I never really thought to keep a substantial amount on hand in the house (it sort of seems like if I'm already here, what do I need money for?). So at the suggestion of Tony P, I put $100 in the freezer. (Actually, he had said to put $90,000 in the freezer, but that would take up too much room- where would I keep my everything bagels and organic saag matar paneer?)

2 comments:

Claire said...

I had a friend who used to keep all her cash in the fridge!

William Jefferson said...

Don't worry, we all have to start somewhere. I remember the when I used to keep $100 in my freezer. But if you're ambitious, one day you'll own a larger fridge--which will come in handy if you work your way up to being a Congressperson.