Friday, September 28, 2007

New Thing #187: A model of decorum

It's fitting that tonight's New Thing corresponds with the police code for murder. I played Chess, and Kevin pretty much slaughtered me. But unlike the time when I was 10 and stormed out of the room when I could take anymore of my spectator brother's taunts while I played my dad, I played a full game of Chess, meaning that this time I made it past three moves. Since Kevin doesn't have one of those neato counters, I don't how many moves it did take. For at least the first quarter of the game my rallying cry was "I have no idea what I'm doing!" But then things started to sink in and I began to understand why what I do in a given move can affect what I'll need to do in another five moves. It ended up with my king running scared (and away from all protection) until there was nothing more I could do. At one point, my personal objective became "get pieces," even if it meant sacrificing my rook to capture a pawn. I even got Kevin's queen at one point, not that it mattered in the end.
I never stay anguished for long.

No comments: