Wednesday, October 10, 2007

New Thing #199: Vegan be heroes

Today's suggestion comes from one of my magazine's readers, and it's definitely something that I, as a steak, ice cream, cheese and Buffalo wing lover have never done. I ate like a vegan for an entire day. Well, it's still in progress, but I'm doing a good job so far. The Asian goodies I got for lunch were pretty tasty, and I barely noticed that the milk in my coffee wasn't the gooey, fatty half & half I usually go for. The only downside is that just knowing that I can't have a roast beef sandwich makes me want one SO BAD. I'll be able to determine later whether my somewhat fragile, meat-dependent consitution has suffered any from 24 hours of plant-based sustenance.

Breakfast:
Tropicana organic apple and pear juice
Green Mountain fair-trade coffee with sugar and rice milk
Odwalla Berries GoMega bar
Orange

Lunch:
Vegan/Macro Shanghai Dumplings
Brown rice with mixed veggies and tofu

Snack:
Soy Protein Berry smoothie

Dinner:
Takeout from Zen Palette (I think- or perhaps whole grain rotini with olive oil, sundried tomatoes and soy cheese)

Dessert:
Key lime Tofutti Cuties (if I can't find them, I'll stick with the vanilla ones in my freezer)


6 comments:

Claire said...

Sounds really tasty - was it any more expensive, though?

Michael Jeffrey said...

You're allowed bacon, though, right? Bacon's vegan.

Kathleen said...

Michael Jeffrey,

You're kidding, right?

Michael Jeffrey said...

I most certainly am not kidding, kathleen. My pork is all grain-fed.

Anonymous said...

Actually, most sugar you find in America isn't vegan--it's refined with animal bone char.

Anonymous said...

Good for you! Being vegan is one of the best things you can do for a healthy body and a healthy environment. Way to go!