Thursday, October 11, 2007

New Thing #200: Just like my abs!

Tonight I washed clothes using an old-timey washboard. I decided that I really, really wanted to do this after I used an old-timey clothesline in Fire Island. The process just hadn't seemed complete at the time. I had some delicates on hand, as well as a shirt I want to wear again before I do laundry, so I filled up a tub with soapy water and went to town. The board, made by Columbia Wash, boasts having two sides "for different fabrics," but the sides appear to be identical in width and sharpness of the metal ridges, so I'm not really sure what they mean. I'm also not sure whether the washboard gets my clothes cleaner than if I'd just dunked them up and down in the water, but it definitely lent a homey, elbow-greasy feel to an otherwise mundane chore. Now who wants to join my jug band?

2 comments:

Kevin Hines said...

This was a cool idea!

Elektra Printz said...

Trying joining Peace Corps, and you may end up doing this for 2.5 years straight! While I used a bucket at my village house in Cape Verde, my neighbors used rocks in the nearby stream! My 90 year old grandmother says that I had it worse of than she did in rural Jersey with the legit wash basin outside.