Saturday, October 13, 2007

New Thing #202: Band on the fun

At my high school in San Diego, sports came first and everything else tied for second. A solid, old-school marching band wasn't even a glimmer in anyone's eye, and I always felt like I'd missed out on that particular brand of tradition and pageantry. Tonight, I got the dose of pride I felt like I'd missed out on when I walked the field during the Music in Motion Marching Band competition at Kevin's high school. As a real alum, Kevin was invited to join other grads in taking to the field before his alma mater's band performed. As a fake alumna, I got to join him. Listening to talented high schoolers (and one exhibition team from Sacred Heart University) rock songs like "Copa Cabana," the score from Frieda and some Earth, Wind and Fire made me wish that I'd not only been good at a wind instrument, but that I'd gone to a high school that had a supply of them.

1 comment:

Julia said...

Marching bands rock! I loved being in one in high school. I'm so glad you finally got to experience them. If at all possible, try to make it to a college football game and stay in your seat during half time. The shows are always entertaining