Monday, October 15, 2007

New Thing #204: The feet goes on

I'm extremely picky about my bananas; I like them almost green, but not too sappy, and definitely not mushy. And these are just my specifications when I eat a banana a normal way. Luckily, all my requirements were met (and then some) when I peeled and ate a banana with my feet. I bought two bananas, in case I mangled the first one so badly I couldn't eat it. But I didn't mangle it at all, and though it took a while, I was totally able to do it on the first try! (Which is good, because getting a practice round, even by accident. might have defeated its Newness.) I did bite into the skin a couple of times, and the temptation to use my hands was great; I never touched the banana, but I did have to steady myself every now and again.
Enjoy! (or, skip forward to the last ten seconds, when I really get on a roll, then enjoy.)

video

Also, something really cool happened today. I'll be able to New-ify it on Friday!

7 comments:

Claire said...

Haha, loved the video! Great idea!

And woo! Congrats on the CNN feature! Great stuff!

Kirk said...

I can barely peel a banana with my hands. Who are you, Perry Mason?

Anonymous said...

Something new everyday. So is true that you learn something new everyday? :)

Um did you wash your feet before doing the eat a banana with your foot. Just curious.

Spinner said...

OMG, when I was a kid, I saw a Sesame Street video about a boy with no arms. I started learning how to do stuff with my feet, just in case one day I woke up with no arms. I can still pick stuff up, write my name with a Crayola, sort-of play the piano, etc., but the banana thing--color my ass impressed.

Karen L. Alaniz said...

A blogger friend passed on the link to your blog. I recently made a goal of having new experiences too and wrote about it in my blog. I'm not going for one a day...But I love the idea. I'm old enough to be your mother (well, if I had a baby at 15), so that's my excuse.

And about that banana- here's one for you. I used to do this with my students when I taught. I'd tell them there was a special kind of a banana that just grows pre-sliced. The trick? Take a needle and poke through the skin, scrape it across, inside the peel. Then pull it out and do it again in a different place. Then you give it to someone and tell them to peel it. Oooooh what a trick. Pretty fun! But I did discover that you have to "slice" it right before, otherwise, it browns around the pin pricks and gives it away. Fun, fun! Love your blog!

Karen

Major Ice Hole said...

Ha ha! That is great! Good luck with all the new stuff!

Anonymous said...

Love the BOSTON hat!!!