Tuesday, October 16, 2007

New Thing #205: Armed and charmed


When I first started this project, I was pretty adamant about one thing: I would never get a tattoo. The litmus test that proves I would regret it is this: As a young teenager, I thought about what I might want if I got one, and forgot about it. Ten years later, I asked myself if I still would have wanted it ("it" being something silly, like a treble clef or a faerie). The answer was Hell. No. If my tastes change every ten years, I'm not going to put something on my skin that can't change. But I can put something on my skin that will fade after a couple of weeks. So today I got a Henna tattoo. I missed out on getting celebratory wedding Henna at a culturally Indian wedding in 2004, so this was my chance. Coworker Sharon joined me at Saloni in Union Square, and I got a spiral arm band and my massive bicep and she got a pretty floral design on her forearm. I like it, but I'm glad the weather finally got cold, because when this baby starts to fade on my shiny white skin, it is going to look mighty funky.

15 comments:

Wesley said...

cool idea. I would love to see a week where you find new ways to help people.
Wes

Pete said...

I just read about you on CNN.com. You are a very cool girl! Best of luck turning 30. 31 was harder for me.

Pete

Claire said...

That's a really cute design!

Michael P. said...

It has been several weeks since I added a new webpage to my favourites. This is an imaginative and inspiring idea (the blog that is...you can keep the tattoo). Lovely.

yash said...

Hey, i saw your blog , i love what you have been doing for the past year ,i always wanted to do some thing different like you, you woke up my desires ,keep doing it.

Michael Jeffrey said...

wesley, how about you show us the way and report back.

SURCIE said...

I think this is a great way to spend your 30th year!

I turned 39 one week ago, and I've been feeling a little stuck, wanting to make my 40th year mean something more, but not knowing what to do--that doesn't involve spending too much money. You've got some fun ideas. Maybe I'll go peel a banana with my toes!

(Sorry if this is a duplicate comment from me. Blogger said it was having problems, so I reposted.)

FreedomFighter said...

Ha! This year-long endeavor is precisely how I live and encourage other to live their lives. I am a huge fan of the idea and encourage everyone to step outside their comfort level at least once a day. Keep it up. You rock!

Stache' Guevera said...

Jen, I'm glad you found my goofy mustache blog (and pleasantly surprised too). And, tell you what, if I lose enough weight by my 30th to get me into a ballerina outfit, I'll be celebrating with my own version of Swan Lake, tutus and all. If this blog's still live in two years, I'll post the pics.

Thanks for stopping by, and keep living the non-crisis dreams.

Melinda said...

Another person from CNN.com. This is such a fantastic idea. 30 was a hard birthday for me. (I'm 31 now.) No suggestions at the moment. Good luck on the rest of your year. :)

Hugs,
Melinda

Anonymous said...

Jen,

Just saw the CNN mention. You go girl!!!!!!!

*Sophia

Anonymous said...

I't good to see originality is alive and kicking. Now that CNN.com has picked up, would you consider signing autographs for a day?

-Clay

paige said...

How about exploring the infinity of travel from an RV for a day or two (see www.gonowdo.com)?

We love your passion for "the new" and would love to have you join us for an adventure. We're launching a new website that lets people connect through passionate, adventuresome and sometimes even odd travel activities. As part of our marketing effort we are exploring the US on RV's, documenting and exploring all of the unique, interesting and inspiring things to do in the world.

LAJRL said...

Glad I saw your link on Cnn.com
You're wonderful. Your blog is a favorite!

Inspiration!
I think I'm going to do this for my 49th to 50th year birthday--but I have to think of something different......hmmmm. Any ideas? I considered shaving my head, but that seems stupid now that I think about it.

Danielle said...

You've inspired me, Jen. Thank you!