Wednesday, October 17, 2007

New Thing #206: 'Wichy woman


Remember in the movie Mermaids how Cher's character, Rachel Flax, would only serve food that was cold and made with a cookie cutter? I always thought that was sort of funny, but in the house I grew up in, such whimsical dinners were not to be. But now I'm on my own, and if I want star-shaped peanut butter sandwiches for dinner, I'm going to have them! So tonight I made sandwiches shaped like stars, hearts and gingerbread people and served them for dinner. I surprised Kevin with it, and included a plate of scraps so we wouldn't waste any food (and because, let's face it, two grownups are not going to get full on sandwiches shaped like Lucky Charms). I made two each of organic herb turkey and swiss on whole wheat, one peanut butter on sourdough, one peanut butter on wheat, one smoked salmon and cream cheese on toasted sourdough, and one hummus on toasted whole wheat. There was also a salad, but it's really hard to get salad to hold a shape.

11 comments:

elvira fudpucker said...

I remember that movie. I played the mom. That is the funniest thing ever!

Mia said...

Love it. Love the idea of the whole project. Love your blog.

You go girl :)

spike. said...

You know, I was kind of waiting for the "I was on CNN.com as a new thing" post, but it didn't appear. Smooth. Very Smooth.

Melinda said...

The salad is in a shape. It's being held by a circle. :D (It pays to have toddlers in your life.)

Hugs,
Melinda

Adam said...

you are awesome!

Kat said...

I just saw this on CNN and this is such a cool idea. I'm only turning 27 this year, but I might start planning now for my 29th year. It looks like you're having so much fun!

Anonymous said...

My pb&j at lunch looked so sad and normal next to this...and not a Christmas cookie cutter in sight.

Tamsin said...

You might be happy (and slightly horrified) to know that I spent a solid 3 hours reading all about your 29th year of life so far. I love what you're doing, and definitely think I'll be stopping by your blog every now and again to see what you've been up lately. Thank you, CNN!

Also, I find it a little strange how much one can know about a complete stranger's life and times without ever meeting them. Oh, the interweb :)

ms_quoted said...

This brought back many great memories. I use to watch this movie all the time (even though i was probably too young to get all of it). I have two young boys and I always cut their sandwiches into fun shapes. Now if only I had a cool underwater room...

Claire said...

So cute!

monday-morgue said...

Great blog, love the idear, came accross it on....that's right-cnn.
I'm 29 :( no wait! :) and this certainly does inspire me to do some new things.