Thursday, October 25, 2007

New Thing #214: Cruciverbalism

I wanted to wait until I'd finished this to post about it, but "it" might take me right up to midnight. So we'll consider this a work in progress. I am making my own crossword puzzle. It's hard! Much harder than I thought it would be- it's so much more than just making words intersect. I found a couple of tutorials, one of which pointed out that your grid should be plotted out before you even start picking words. Your black spaces have to be horizontally symmetrical, even if the words themselves aren't. Then there's the matter of getting your words to complement each other, and coming up with enough creative two- and three-letter words to avoid having too many black spaces. I have a feeling my puzzle's going to include a lot of airport initials and postal codes. It's a little like playing Scrabble, but blindfolded and backwards. My puzzle's theme is "stuff you'd find in my office." Words that have made it onto the grid so far include "pink flamingos," "snowball," "family" (as in portait, not a bunch of relatives hanging out in my file cabinet). I'm trying to find a way to work in "bag of candy," "hula hoop" and "eight pairs of shoes for no reason."

2 comments:

Emily said...

I just want to tell you that I LOVE your blog! I read about your journey on CNN's 'Young People Who Rock' blog and I must say, I was intrigued with your amazing endeavor! Keep on, keeping on and thank you for sharing your adventures!

Wanda said...

Looks wonderful... Do you have the word "family" in there twice though?