Monday, October 29, 2007

New Thing #218: Fudge!*

There are a lot of surprisingly dirty mouths where I work. Perhaps it's not that surprising: we do live in New York, and we are often under a lot of pressure. We're heading into Deadline Time, so I've noticed a lot more sweary conversations than usual. Some of them even involve me. I don't think I cuss a lot, but I would like to cuss none, so I needed to come up with a plan to curb my occasionally naughty mouthedness. So today I made a swear jar. It used to be a cookie jar, then I ate all the cookies and became a regular ceramic penguin named Bill. Now it's Bill, the cookie-jar-turned-regular-ceramic-penguin-turned-swear-jar. And he's going to be the recipient of coins every time someone swears. Minor words, ones that are legal on television but that you wouldn't say in front of your grandmother, run $.05-$.10 while bigger words, including those starting with S and F, can cost you a whole quarter. I contributed a quarter right away, when Bill's head fell off and I thought I'd broken it. Luckily it's still in tact- Bill's got some swear-monitoring to do!



*Oh how I wish this post were really about fudge.

11 comments:

spike. said...

I would, unfortunately, be reduced to leaving Bill a blank, signed check.

Miss Banana said...

I'm with Spike.

Anna said...

Just started reading your blog. It's kind of inspiring.

In college my roommate didn't swear and so I learned some alternatives to swearing that are almost as enjoyable. Some of my favorites are "Mother Father", "Son of a Biscuit Eater".. those are especially good for, say, a stubbed toe. Now if someone jumps out and scares you, then a "Holy Shnikies" might be in order.

I know it sounds corny, but it might save you some change.

Frances said...

Do you have an intention for the money Bill collects? Knowing that you won't get it back will add incentive to stop the swearing (which is such a great goal - go you!).

PS My new favorite word to say when I'm surprised by something negative is "bother" - altogether non-offensive. :)

Claire said...

Love the idea!!!

radcrow said...

Have you ever made your own fudge? If not - there's something new to do!
*do you really read the comments?

Jenmac said...

Radcrow- Yes!

Wendy said...

I'm enjoying reading your blog (and it's inspiring, because I try to live my life trying new things all the time--although not every single day!)--but would it be possible for you to enable your RSS feeder site to put out your entire post, plus picture? I read with Bloglines and so when I only get a tiny chunk of your post, I don't have the time to go to your actual blog and read the rest of it until the end of the week--if I can even remember which post I ended with and what needs to be read. It would really help! Another of my friends was only putting partial posts up and he was able to change it so I could see the whole ones, and it simplified life so much. I understand if you can't, but it would be reeeeeealy nice if you could!

Frances said...

I second Wendy's request for full posts in Bloglines.

Jenmac said...

Wendy & Frances- Done! I think. Apparently it doesn't work retroactively. I'll make a new post later tonight- it should show up long in your feeder by then!

Anonymous said...

I've used "phooey". Corny but fun!