Tuesday, October 30, 2007

New Thing #219: Snack o' lanterns

Pumpkins are awesome. This is the time of year we celebrate the pumpkin- we cut them up and light them at Halloween, and we make them into Thanksgiving pies a couple of weeks later (which sort of makes me think "celebrate" isn't the right word, but that's not the point). I have to wonder, what about other vegetables? And fruit? Why have none of them been considered as viable jack o' lanterns or seasonal pie fillings in fall? Tonight I gave the other fruits a chance and made jack o' lanterns out of an apple, an orange, a banana, a kiwi and a yellow pepper. They seemed happy to get the chance to make a rare autumn appearance, so I don't have the heart to tell them that the world will probably stick to pumpkins.


Later we had fruit salad with dinner.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

heeee. very cute idea!:) I loved yours better than any pumpkin I saw this season.

Jaimie, NJ

spike. said...

That apple looks more "Sad" than "Spooky". Any leftover fruit salad?

Claire said...

The bananas my fave!

Anonymous said...

Been lurking a long time, but had to comment. What a fabulous idea and oh so much fun. I must admit, it was the Kiwi that got me. To see it smiling at me was something else. Makes it more difficult to eat when it's anthropomorphized, though! Congrats on your fun and adventurous blog!!

Maddy said...

Yay! I love the pepper. I love peppers!

Miss Banana said...

You should do this each year and take a group shot of them. Maybe you can get one to do something like this:

http://bigpicture.typepad.com/writing/puking_pumpkin.gif

Robin said...

Since Learning 2007 I've been following your blog - love to see all of the fun things you are doing. On Oct 24, you were video conferenced in to talk to us - here's a couple of links to photos...
http://emasie.smugmug.com/gallery/3736414#214635350
http://emasie.smugmug.com/gallery/3736414#214635371

RLS