Saturday, November 3, 2007

New Thing #223: Tanks, Trains and Automobiles

In New York, it's polite to thank people as often as you can- doormen, bus drivers, elevator operators; pretty much anyone who doesn't try to kill you. You can't thank all the people all the time, though; there are plenty of people who don't try to kill you and who do important, thankless jobs that deserve a little gratitude. So today I thanked the subway conductor. It's not always easy to do, but I passed the open window on the very first car of the train as I left the platform, so I smiled and thanked the guy at the controls. He nodded and waved, probably surprised that someone acknowledged that it's actual human beings who make the trains go. I drew the line at high-fiving him; I didn't want him to think I was after his keys.

1 comment:

Claire said...

Lovely! I always used to make a point of trying to thank the bus driver when it wasn't too crowded!