Thursday, November 8, 2007

New Thing #228: Coatally Awesome

A few months ago, after realizing I didn't have a cold-weather coat I could wear with dresses, I bought this incredibly luscious looking faux leopard fur coat. It looked awesome online, AND it was on sale. When it arrived in the mail at my office, I realized something: It is totally. Not. Me. At all. I opt for a more classic look during the fall, like my black velvet blazer and a cashmere scarf. Not a semi-garish knee-length number which, in the absence of pants screams "lady of the night." So it has been hanging on the back of my office door for nearly three months, and I was trying to figure out what to do with it- give it to a sassy homeless lady? Make stuffed animals? Or- how about this? Wear it. Tonight it was much colder when I left work to meet some lady friends than it had been in the morning, so I wore the totally not-me faux fur coat. I wore it around work, to meet my friends, to pretend to hail a cab, on the subway home, to stand in the shower, and to watch tv. It made me feel a bit conspicuous at first, and it definitely turned more heads than my black jacket (see how I say that like it's not a good thing? It's not), but it was super cozy and luxy and made me feel like a young Gloria Swanson. Who could say no to that?




8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Haaa. I love that coat! It is so awesome and original. I have one just like it but all black. Lovely pictures.

Anonymous said...

Ok I am from Michigan a place where good taste my lack to some degree But you look STUNNING in that coat. If I were you I would wear that thing everywhere!

Anonymous said...

I just started reading your blog and I have to say you are quite hilarious! I love the idea of doing something new everyday and wish I was creative/adventurous enough to do it too!
Keep up the good work- I love coming to work in the morning and reading about what you did the day before- it puts a smile on my face!

caeser.geo said...

Jen,

What an atrocious coat! Very hooker channeling her dead Jewish grandmother. I applaud you. You make me smile and you are bookmarked.

M

Talulah said...

I like the coat, and am more than happy to take it off your hands when you are home for Christmas. ;)

MJC said...

You should keep wearing it. It looks like a very warm coat. Plus, a faux leopard died so you could have it.

Kathleen said...

What I feel like is Gloria %&^*ing Swanson!!!
You also kinda look like Lindsay Lo-jen in the "like, I need a cab!" picture. No offense =-P

alf said...

I once wore a hat every day of the week just because it was so unlike me. It was rather liberating. Though, I still rarely wear hats. :)