Saturday, November 10, 2007

New Thing #230: Miss Macyagi


The Karate Kid was on tv today, and I got to watch about half of it before I left to go do my show. I made a mental note that trimming bonsai trees would make a great New Thing, then forgot about it for the next hour. But as I was passing through a street fair in Astor Place, I noticed a stall full of bonsai trees, decided it was totally a sign, and haggled for one after the show on my way back to the subway. When I got home, I trimmed a bonsai tree. The instruction booklet said you're only supposed to trim them in the springtime, but it also said that you're supposed to keep them in environments no cooler than 65 degrees. It was about 45 outside today, so there were lots of little brown spots I had to get rid of. It's a very therapeutic, relaxing process. I don't know much about the art of shaping them, but I guess I'll find all that out in the spring!


3 comments:

Laurie Ann said...

I am finding those are my favorite "new things." Those that just happen! :)

BTW, building a house of cards was harder than I thought it would be!

Kathleen said...

GREAT pics BTW - who's your photographer? Your shirt goes perfectly with the backdrop.

LadyBug said...

I've spent the last couple hours here, reading all the new things you've done so far, from most recent to your first entry; so I thought I'd leave a comment just so you don't think I'm a stalker or anything. This is such a unique and interesting project! Kudos to you for sticking with it so far.

P.S. That stripey shirt looks fabulous on you!