Monday, November 12, 2007

New Thing #232: Ironic


This was another childhood idea, and it sounded like fun (and was) but I didn't realize until I was actually doing it that it could have been sort of dangerous. I made a grilled cheese sandwich with an iron. I don't use starch, so I wasn't worried that I'd poison myself, but I did have a glass of water handy in case I was unknowingly using flammable cheese. It wasn't wildly successful, but wasn't a total bust, either. The cheese melted quickly (good thing I had the sandwich on a towel) and the bread charred pretty quickly. In the video, I start to say 'oh no, it's stuck!' before I put the camera down to avoid a breadfire. There were no breadfires, and also no entirely yummy sandwiches. But I would say that in a pinch, the iron will work just fine.


video

6 comments:

DeepSeaMuse said...

I've done this before! The best way for the cheese to melt successfully without the bread charring is by wrapping it in tin foil. That way nothing sticks to the iron and you can even add tomato or other ingredients to your liking! :)

Samara said...

Hi Jen - next time try wrapping the sandwich in tin foil first. You won't risk getting the sandwich stuck and butter/cheese grime getting on your clothes when you next iron.

Diana said...

Great Blog! AND you are on CNN!

Claire said...

So wrong but sounds so fun... better not try this at home though, kids!!!

IL Chic said...

I LOVE your blog! You take the ordinary and make it extraordinary!

Thanks for the laughs.

Raymond K. said...

i just love how you use video to Add to your text in the entries. The video is not taking all of the scene, making this a very video-centric blog. Very effective.

I love reading your blog (i was tipped about it by my friend Mica Scalin in NYC)