Thursday, November 15, 2007

New Thing #235: Here we go back to apricots


For some reason, I always thought mulberries were fake. They're in the children's song, but there are a lot of things in children's songs--banana phones, diamond rings for babies, stalker lambs that follow you everywhere-- that are hard to find in real life. Mulberries, though, are the real deal. So I ate mulberries. They are not so good. I was expecting something more tart; strawberries, raspberries, cranberries and my beloved blackberries are all packed with punch, even when they're dried. But the mulls tasted like granola dunked in flavored water. I needed a whole glass of organic apple-pear juice just to get the sandy aftertaste out of my mouth.

4 comments:

Crystal said...

Don't give up on mulberries until you've tried them fresh! I used to have a mulberry tree in my yard, and I haven't tried them dried, but they are definitely better than flavored-water granola. (Where I live now its kind of cold for that.)

Courtney said...

I completely agree with Crystal on that one. Fresh mulberries are exccceeelllennteee =D. I'm going to have to try those dried ones though, now, I've never heard of them like that.

Mia said...

I have mulberry trees in my front yard too. I don't know what kind of berries those were that you ate, but real mulberries (to me) taste sort of like big sweeter blackberries. I've never tried drying them, but they're great added to homemade strawberry jam (I tried it just to see, it came out great but doesn't look so good so I named it roachberry jam) *grin*

Anonymous said...

I had to add a comment about trying the mulberries right off the tree and see that the others have said the same. So I agree! I'm not sure if you can find one where you are, might be too cold there but it would definitely be worth the effort.