Tuesday, November 27, 2007

New Thing #247: Just face it

When I was in fourth grade, this new girl told my group of friends that if you go into a bathroom, turn off the lights and say "Bloody Mary" three times into the mirror and then turned on the lights again, your face would be bloody. Or you would see the devil instead of your reflection. Or you would go insane. Or something. I'm sure it was a different legend in every school. Some of my friends wanted to try it immediately. Since you couldn't turn off the school bathroom lights without a key, they had to settle for covering their eyes. I opted out, partly because I thought it was a stupid superstition, but mostly because the idea SCARED THE LIFE OUT OF ME. I never could bring myself to do it; I remember thinking once in college that I could just do it and get it over with, but it never happened. Until just a few minutes ago (and the very fact that I'm writing this serves as something of a spoiler). I went into the bathroom, turned off the lights* and said "Bloody Mary" in the mirror three times. And nothing remotely scary happened. Yet.


I need to clean my bathroom mirror.
*Rather I had them turned off; the switch is outside the door.

10 comments:

Priscilla said...

I remember those rumors too! I was always too afraid to do it. >w< I'm glad you've given me some room to breathe on that one. :D

Claire said...

I heard that when I was a kid - except after you said it someone would come out of the mirror and kill you (eep!)

Am actually glad this experiment didn't work!!!

Luxy said...

Don't you have to turn around 3 times as you're saying it?

alf said...

I commend you! I was introduced to Blood Mary at camp when I was like 9. I have been terrified of dark bathrooms since. Where I'm from, if you say Bloody Mary three times your eyes will start bleeding! Gah!

Anonymous said...

I'm pretty sure you have to spin around 3 times as you say it for dire things to happen. Of course I guess everyone had a diff way of doing it.

Anonymous said...

I can say from experience that I had wierd things happen when I did this in the past. Just stood in the dark looking at a mirror and said Bloody Mary 3 times (there was something different with Mary Worth). I often ended up with scratches on my arms and face.
I also don't mess with Ouji boards after a very unexplainable experience.

Anonymous said...

hi, it sounded like you were a bit nervous.. i think i would be to..

MamaChristy said...

I was introduced to this at VACATION BIBLE SCHOOL, of all places. Nothing weird ever happened to me. I love your blog, btw.

Katherine said...

I believe our school's version involved flicking water at the mirror and flushing the toilet 3 times or something--it was a very involved ritual. :o)

Anonymous said...

No no! You turned the lights on. I was always told that if you kept the lights off you would see a bloody face in the mirror that is supposed to be this Bloody Mary perosn. (I dont remember who she was anymore.) Sometimes they said she tries to kill you. You turn off the lights, say "bloody Mary" 3 times, slowly and then she appears. But if you turn the lights on, that scares her away or stops her from getting you.