Sunday, December 2, 2007

New Thing #252: Good Tone

I planned this New Thing a couple of days ago, when Amanda invited me to a screening of Atonement for the Screen Actors Guild. Never having been to a SAG screening, but being a fan of Ian McEwan's novel by the same name, I immediately said yes. Then, on the way to our seats this afternoon, she tells me that the cast and director are scheduled to appear at the screening! So I went to a SAG screening of Atonement, then saw James McEvoy, Kiera Knightley, Joe Wright, and Saoirse* Ronan discuss the film with the audience. This was cooler than all the interviewing I did in college, mostly because of the element of surprise. The film is absolutely breathtaking. I loved the story, if not always the occasionally soupy writing, when I read the book and I have been looking forward to the film since I finished it. I was correct in my assumption that I would SOB LIKE A BABY at the end, doing so unabashedly but trying to pull it together before James McEvoy seated himself mere feet from me. Because obviously, that would have ruined everything!



*Pronounced Sore-sha. I couldn't figure it out either.

5 comments:

Bella Scoperta said...

OMG!!! I am soooo jealous. James is my dream man. HE IS SOO CUTE. I just bought the book yesterday to read before the movie. Amazing!:) Thanks for posting that.

gatsby said...

Saoirse is a traditional Irish name and spelled in the traditional Irish way...that's why it's looks strange or different...just thought I would let you know. I'm so jealous you saw the movie within feet of James McAvoy (dreamy...sigh) and Keira Knightley (gorgeous...sigh).

Anonymous said...

I blame the damn republicans!

Danielle said...

Saoirse is Galeic for "freedom", and as someone else mentioned, an Irish name

Claire said...

What wonderful things you get to do!!