Wednesday, December 5, 2007

New Thing #255: Body Eclectic


I love my little sister. Equal parts Ann Reinking and Luna Lovegood, she's gorgeous and talented as well as endearingly odd and definitely a marcher to her own drummer. Whenever I'm stuck for a new thing, or if something else hasn't worked out, or if I'm having a tough day, I turn to the 186-item list she sent me in February. Today, in accordance with her whimsy, I named my body parts. I know what you're thinking. Don't. I only named the ones I would introduce to the general public. I'm not sure why I used almost all boys' names. I sort of just think that's funny. In college, bff Angela's now-husband have her this gooey cute, fluffy, white squishy bunny with a bow and pink ears. She named it Steve. That's how I roll, too. And I must say that overall this was a completely lovely experience. It takes thought and a sense of propriety and order. And a dominant quirk gene.






Not pictured are Fred the other ear, Nick the other hand, Royce the stomach, Zoe the back and Emo Phillips the neck. My ears are named after two significant sources; the other source is my grandfather. My whole face got its own name, because it sort of seemed creepy to just name one eyeball at a time and so forth. Fransisco is spelled semi-phonetically.

8 comments:

Wonderful World of Weiners said...

Never thought to do this...

Btw, you DO have LONG toes!! I think my husband should STOP making fun of mine cuz yours are longer!

:-)

Hallie
http://wonderfulworldofweiners.blogspot.com/

Claire said...

Haha, love the idea!

Manda said...

"I only named the [body parts] I'd introduce to the general public."

^^That has to be one of the all-time best blog quotes EVER. I read you every day, but this is the first time I've been so moved to comment. Maybe I'll start commenting more.

Bethany said...

All I keep thinking about when I see the name Blaine is the quote from Pretty in Pink where Duckie Dale says, "that's a major appliance, that's not a name."

Not to diminish the name, I actually quite like it.

George is the name of my Macbook Pro. But his first name is Curious, after the monkey, of course.

jen said...

If you weren't so skinny I'd think naming your stomach Royce was a joke about having fat rolls...

Andrew and Lauriel said...

I am also a daily reader who never comments. But I wanted to tell you that I love that you described your sister as "Equal parts Ann Reinking and Luna Lovegood". Creates a great mental image.
Lauriel

Priscilla said...

I LOVE this idea!!!!

MamaChristy said...

So fun! Are your ears named after the Weasley twins? I'm re-reading Deathly Hallows and it would so fit...