Saturday, December 8, 2007

New Thing #258: Rail Neato!

It's been a long day already. And I'm writing this as I'm just stopping back home before we go out to a party in Queens. I got up at 9:30 and headed way out to Brooklyn for one of my absolute favorite semi-annual events, the Butter by Nadia sample sale, stopped in Chelsea to see an old friend at one of my other favorite semi-an events, the Bust Magazine Holiday Craftacular, then dashed off to a Blue Man matinee and came home again. Briefly. But on the subway back here after my show, I stood in the railfan position the entire way. For you non-New Yorkers, the "railfan" spot is that either at the very front or the very back of the train, where you can see the entire track as it lays out in front or behind the train. I picked the front, since I need the front car anyway. Wow is this mesmerizing. Seems the only time I've ever been by that window is when the train has been insanely crowded and I didn't have a choice, and I always moved as soon as I could. So to ride there out of choice was sort of cool, and the view is very Star Wars-y. It's not completely dark, so you can see all the old graffiti and phantom stations and the platforms as they come into view. And okay, you may look a bit odd standing there if you're not 10 or from the Midwest and you're carrying two heavy bags of Butter and there are plenty of seats, but who cares?

1 comment:

DeepSeaMuse said...

Yeahhh...it's awesome! Actually, if I'm in the first or last car I'll go to that position on purpose. If you concentrate on track, it feels like you're flying!...almost.