Sunday, December 9, 2007

New Thing #259: Elephant Man

What a lazy Sunday today has been. Like, never-fully-changed-out-of-my-pajamas-until-I-took-a-shower-at-eight-pm-and-put-on-new-pajamas lazy. I watched a bit of tv, read a little bit,played online Scrabble a LOT and maybe stretched my arms at one point, but otherwise didn't exert myself in the slightest. So I needed a New Thing to complement, rather than combat, the Super Lazies. Perhaps something that didn't require getting off the couch or putting down the Kettle chips. I referred to my mounting list of suggestions on the eponymous page of this blog, and at the bottom of the list saw this:

I googled Ron Paul. Usually when people suggest stuff like this, it's coming from a personal place, and while the Thing might not be elaborate or grand, it's important to them and they want to share their passions with other people. Ron Paul is a Texas Congressman running for President. I've already picked my candidate, and I vote in a party different from Mr. Paul's, but what's the point of voting if you don't know something about all of the candidates, even the ones you don't plan to vote for? Below are some of the sites I visited for the sake of being fair:
http://www.ronpaul2008.com/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ron_Paul
http://www.house.gov/paul/

One thing I paid attention to while reading these sights was his position on the issues I find most important in an election. Shortly before the 2004 election, my cousin and I talked about how we didn't really know where our favorite candidate stood on certain issues. Mr. Paul and I have opposing viewpoints on nearly everything, but how would I have known that if I hadn't done a bit of research?

3 comments:

Simone S. said...

To sum it up:

He's an anti-choice, isolationist with unrealistic views on income tax.

Jenmac said...

Simone S. said...
To sum it up:
He's an anti-choice, isolationist with unrealistic views on income tax.

Hence his not getting my vote! (You said it better than I)

365 What. What? said...

To find out more about where candidates stand in relation to your own views, visit this site:

http://www.selectsmart.com/president/2008.html

You may be surprised by your choice thus far, or you could have it be another NEW thing on another SUPER lazy day... :)

365what.blogspot.com