Thursday, December 13, 2007

New Thing #263: humble pie

It's Christmastime, which means an abundance of fruit cake... jokes. Seriously, who actually buys, gives or eats fruitcakes anymore? A friend of mine has a story about playing hockey with one, another said that his extended family kept regifting the same fruitcake for something like 15 years, and each family genuinely thought it was a brand-new fruitcake every year (I'm missing part of that, I'm sure, but that's the gist). Tonight I ate fruitcake. I'm not even sure I knew fruitcakes could be eaten; like the candycanes my mom used to hang on the tree, they seemed like seasonal decor but not to actually be digested. And you know what? Not so bad! I prefer a gooey chocolate cake, or a nice slice of angel food with whipped-sugar frosting, but I could subsist on this stuff if I were running a dogsled race* or living in a treehouse.


*Don't ask me why I remember this weird detail about this movie. I saw it once, I was 16, it had an Astin in it and that's what I remember? That he lived almost entirely on fruitcake? Go fig.

5 comments:

spike. said...

I've always harbored a secret fondness for fruitcake since I was a kid. I've never understood all the anti-fruitcake propaganda.

But I couldn't it eat in like, August or something. That would just be totally weird. I don't think you can say that about many foods, other than what is just inherently seasonal. Anyway, happy fruitcaking!

Claire said...

Hmm, well I don't know whether it's just a UK thing, but we have it loads here.

My nan is always baking fruitcake and we have it everytime we see her...

Maybe it's just me...!?

Krafty Like A Fox said...

I haven't eaten fruitcake since I was very young (call it about 5), and you've inspired me to try it again.

But my mama always get what she says is the best fruitcake, from the Trappist Abbey monks ( http://www.trappistabbey.org/ ). Can't beat anything monk-made!

Luxy said...

I'm not a big fruitcake eater either, although I have come up with a recipe that doesn't make the cake look so nuclear... it has regular fruit such as apples, cherries, pears, etc in it. I'd still prefer chocolate cake, but this one is at least edible for me! If for some reason you want the recipe let me know...

Pat Baer said...

There's a Good Eats episode dedicated to fruitcake which got me to actually try nad make one a couple years ago. Results were pretty awesome.