Saturday, December 22, 2007

New Thing #272: O'Hareport

I've been flying home for Christmas since 2001. I always leave sometime around December 21 or 22, and I have never had a problem. I've flown through cities like Denver and Chicago and things have always gone miraculously smoothly. Last year, Kevin and I flew here separately and neither of us hit any snags. So leave it to the one year that both of us fly here together for everything to go haywire. Thanks to me booking a flight that passed through Chicago, and to United for having "mechanical" problems that prevented our flight from leaving on time, today I got stranded in Chicago when United "postponed" our flight for twelve hours, and am having to spend the night in the lovely O'Hare Airport Westin. I'd never throw a party here, but for free* airport accommodations, it's actually pretty lovely.


*Free only before paying $10 to connect to the internet so I could see if we actually do have a flight tomorrow, and before paying $50 for dinner, which United decided not to pay for.

4 comments:

kikimaja said...

Just think if the benefit of being here in LA...Its in the 70's! But you can drive all over LA and not get the feel that it is Christmas like you can in NY.

Anonymous said...

It sounds like United is ready to be cut up into shirt stays.

spike. said...

Oh man, don't get met started on Airline problems. Complain enough to United, you should be getting some free flights out of this.

Anonymous said...

Every time I have flown through Chicago I had problems. And yes, 13 hour delays are horrible. Especially when they tell you a bird cracked their windshield and it was being replaced. OMG a bird? How big was this bird? Are the windows on a plane that weak? I feel your pain on wasting time and money. We did not get any refund or anything just a "we will let you know of any changes as soon as we can" about a billion times. Wish I could remember which airlines they were.