Friday, January 4, 2008

New Thing #285: How Rude!

I don't really judge anyone or anything anymore. It's hypocritical and a waste of time, and in New York you see so many different things that if one were to judge everything one saw, one wouldn't get anything done, ever. I barely even react to things anymore, and that's if I even notice them. One thing I CANNOT let go is when people spit in public. It's gross and rude and nobody should do it.... Or should they? In a gesture inspired by "don't knock it till you tried it," I spit in public. I spit onto the subway tracks, and you know what? It felt gross and rude and nobody should do it. There is no difference between some big dude and some little lady spitting onto the tracks, or the sidewalk, or your puppy. I will continue to not feel bad when I throw a dirty look at those who do this.

6 comments:

Mikael Jefferson said...

I was raised much the same way, and think it's pretty gross.

I'm glad that spitting in public didn't turn you to the other side.

KrstlChik said...

sigh... as long as we can still pick our noses in public...

Maddy said...

I like when you can see really old signs that say "No Spitting" and I wonder why there aren't any new signs that say that. It's gross and unsanitary. I hate stepping over huge loogeys on the platform or the sidewalk. Yuck.

Alex said...

Some people like myself have a medical condition where phlegm builds up inside the throat and makes it difficult to breathe. The only way to fix this is to spit it out. I try to spit into a garbage can or the side of the road if possible.
But I do hate it when people spit on the sidewalk.

em said...

hey jen, i've been a long time reader and think that what you're doing is awesome!

this entry made me think of when i was growing up and my brothers would spit in the yard and on the driveway. my mother always had this rule 'you can not spit anywhere where i may walk, just in case i don't have shoes on.' even today if she sees my 25 year old brother spit she'll say 'i was going to walk there you know.'

keep up the awesome work!

Miss Banana said...

This is my biggest pet peeve in life! I'm so with you on the subway. It's hard enough to avoid the trails of dog waste, when you toss in loogeys on the sidewalk, there is almost no space for my feet!