Thursday, January 10, 2008

New Thing #291: Scoot Scoot Scootsie

The autumn after I graduated from college, Razor Scooters seemed (according to my University's newspaper that I still got in the mail, courtesy of having been the editor) to be taking over college campuses. I'm not sure why I assumed they'd be huge in New York as well, but once I knew I would be moving here, I could picture nothing but sidewalks full of scooting New Yorkers, and vowed to get one the second I landed. Well, I landed... and there was nary a scooter in sight, at least not on a regular basis. So I smartly refrained from getting one, and didn't really know any of the cool, quirky people who had gotten one for exercise. But after cool, quirky coworker Sharon found out I'd never scootered, she generously offered hers and I scootered. Nobody really pays attention to the unusual anymore, so I could have been walking, or walking with a cat on my head, and I would have gotten the same impassive reactions. I did enjoy seeing the city at a slightly faster pace, and that's saying a lot because I am quick in a general sort of way.

3 comments:

farmwife said...

Way cool! I've always wanted a Razor, but -- live in the country ya know -- no sidewalks or asphalt in sight. I guess I'll have to stick to the horse.

Anonymous said...

Hey - your foot's not on the scooter in the first picture! Good thing you gave us a second...

Jess said...

I love your pictures...the first scooter one made me really giggle!